The prizes, which have been put together by HarperCollins and the brilliant people at Crimson River Productions and Storiad, are:
- an editorial review
- a professional book cover
- a book trailer
- an ePressKit
To enter, all you have to do is post the opening line of your book in the comments on this blog post.
We understand that opening lines might be of many different lengths – from one word to a hundred, if you’re writing the next Robinson Crusoe – as such, we’re allowing for entries up to three sentences but no more than 100 words.
The competition will run from now until midnight BST the night of Sunday 8th September. The winning entry will be selected by a panel of readers at HarperCollins.
To keep the blog comments free for entries, please send any questions you have to email@example.com
And now the finer details:
- As well as the opening line, authors must post: - their authonomy screen name and the title of the book (in ‘quotation marks’).
- The full or partial manuscript does not have to be on authonomy to qualify for the competition, and new members are welcome to enter. If you want to enter and are not currently an authonomy member then click here to open a free account.
- All genres welcome.
- We encourage authors to post just the opening line of their novel. However, to allow for the varied nature of opening lines, we will accept up to three sentences or 100 words (whichever is smallest). We reserve the right to remove entries that exceed this or are deemed ‘off topic’.
- One entry per book. However, authors may submit multiple entries.
- The competition is aimed at authors with complete manuscripts, planning to self-publish their title before October 2014.
- Authors with publishing contracts for their book will not be able to enter.
We can’t wait to read your openers!